People who exercise regularly need more water because they lose more water through sweating and breathing. Athletes need to quench their thirst even when they’re not thirsty, and avoid relying on the feeling of thirst to tell them when to drink.
Athletes will often hydrate throughout the day and especially at meal times when consuming electrolytes and sodium will help you retain the fluids and minerals you consume.
There are specific benefits of staying hydrated for athletes, including:
- Improved circulation
- Improved muscle function
- Maintaining normal blood pressure
If athletes are working out less than an hour a day, water is generally sufficient to keep hydrated. However for those with extended, strenuous workouts, a sports drink with carbohydrates and electrolytes may be recommended. However be cautious, some sports drinks are high in calories due to added sugar. Some may contain caffeine, and some may have more salt than needed. Always read the label.
For athletes (and non-athletes alike) drinking enough water and staying properly hydrated has the following benefits:
1. Flushes toxins and prevents illness. When the body is dehydrated, the elimination of wastes is diminished. When the body is hydrated, healthier functioning and transportation of nutrients is restored.
2. Promotes weight loss. According to several studies, those who increase water consumption lose more weight than those who do not.
3. Increase energy levels. Studies have shown that staying hydrated before, during and after exercise can not only reduce fatigue but also improve endurance. In one scientific study it was concluded that drinking just 500ml of water can increase your metabolic rate by 30%.
4. Lower the risk of heart attacks. Drinking more water has been linked to a decreased risk of coronary heart disease.
For more info see Hydration in the Heat for Young Athletes from The Sports Institute at Washington University. It is recommended for athletes of all ages.
Hydrogen Water is an excellent drink for athletes. It can penetrate into the deep recesses of cells and cell walls to provide a quick and effective recovery. Please comment below if you are using Hydrogen Water in your workouts. We would like to know your experience.